Image Posted on Updated on
I am known for always coloring my hair. I mostly stay in the red family but I’ll be changing my color up soon. Anywho, let’s talk about natural hair and color. First things first I don’t dye my own hair. That’s just a personal preference for me. I like to leave certain things to a professional and color is one of them. I’ve done all the experimenting I can to know that coloring is one that I can’t do on my own.
No matter how many times I get my color done my hair stylist ALWAYS consults me about my hair ( follow @mizzdarlisa for all your natural hair needs Facebook and Instagram) and reminds me about the up keep and she always say ” I’m ok with doing color in your hair because I know you will take care of it.” LOL
Here are a few things that I do whenever I have color in my hair
• Deep Condition: When I color my hair I tend to deep condition and hair mask more than anything. When you color your hair your porosity levels are higher, which makes it easier for the hair to dry out. This helps keep the protein/keratin balance to hold moisture.
• Sulfate Free shampoo: Most shampoo’s will strip your hair of moisture which is hard do keep when you have color in your hair. Look for shampoo’s that are color safe and less clarifying
• Detangle: I find it best to detangle in the shower with my wide tooth comb. I part in 4 sections and detangle from there. Detangling helps keep breakage down.
• Trimming: This is something that I am bad at keeping up with, so please make sure you keep them trimmed. Hair color, if not taken care of properly can cause breakage and you’ll have damaged dry hair and bad split ends.
• Moisturize: This is a big one!!! Our natural hair is already naturally dry so adding color makes it excessive. When you have color Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!!!!! As with everything else you do to properly care for color treated hair it helps keep down breakage and split ends and gives your hair shine.